What I believe:
Some Notable Accomplishments:
- In 1995, I was involved with a GLBT youth peer-counseling websiteÂ featured on the front page of the New York Times (1995)
- In 1998, I was a defendant on behalf of the ACLU in an internet censorship case (1998)
- In 2007, I launched the first staff-authored blog of a major label (now defunct…go figure)
- I’ve been designing and building websites since 1997. Yes, I’ve been around that long.Â Here’s an old website. Don’t judge the copy.
Up until 2011, I was a Digital Strategy Specialist for the (now defunct)Â Studio D digital strategy team ofÂ Waggener Edstrom. While at WaggEd, I had a wide variety of responsibilities, including:
- Strategic Communications Consultation. I helped clients adjust the way their stories are told to maximize their impact and build communities, including Twitter and Facebook community analysis, and real-time content capturing for retail establishments.
- Social Media Footprint Analysis. I looked at what clients are doing to tell their stories and listen to their advocates and interested parties via social networks to make sure the right people connect with them, and then make recommendations as to how they could improve.
- Content Strategy. I helped to identify the most compelling way for our clients to capture the interesting things about them and people who interact with them.
- I helped to develop theÂ Social Influence System, aÂ proprietary modular system for organizations to monitor, engage and connect via social tools, featured on Mashable.com and blogtalkradio.
Before this foray into the world of corporate PR, I was a veteran of the online side of the music industry working at several labels:
- TVT Records. I started my music career in 1999, launching campaigns for artists such as Lilâ€™ Jon, Sevendust and Ambulance LTD.
- Sony Music. I moved to Sony Music in 2004 and helped launch MySpaceâ€™s Music property in conjunction with rock band Midtown, as well as running campaigns for Crossfade, John Legend and Anna Nalick.
- SONY BMG Masterworks. After the merger of Sony and BMG, After the SONY/BMG merger, I moved again to lead the online department for their Classical, film score and Broadway division. Â While I was there, I worked on campaigns for projects as diverse asÂ Yo-Yo Ma, Joshua Bell, Star Wars, Phantom of the Opera and A Chorus Line.
- Sony BMG Commercial Music Group. I joined the Commercial Music Group’s integrated online division in 2007, as Sr. Manager of Digital Content and Fan Relations, leading CRM efforts as well as expanding the purview of audio and video content I created into the pop realm.
I left the music industry in 2009 (read about whyÂ here).
While at Sony, I honed my storytelling skills by conceptualizing and producing over 300 original podcast episodes for their Catalog, Classical and Broadway group, many of which are featured over on DeeperContext.com. Â Some other podcasts I’ve produced include:
- The Legacy Podcasts, encompassing series from some of the most legendary names in music, including Elvis Presley, Willie Nelson, Bob Dylan, Carole King, The Clash, Gloria Estefan, Johnny Cash, Sly Stone and Tony Bennett
- The Story So Far, a 30-episode extravaganza detailing the storied career of one Stephen Sondheim
- Masterworks Broadway Podcast Theatre, a Broadway-focused podcast including new interviews with the casts of Avenue Q, Grease, A Chorus Line, South Pacific, Chicago and discussions with Broadway legends Angela Lansbury, Bernadette Peters, Chita Rivera, Barbara Cook and Betty Buckley.
- The Music of Masterworks, a classical-focused podcast including episodes about Stravinskyâ€™s 125 birthday, a talk with pianist Leon Fleisher, new interviews with Joshua Bell and The 5 Browns, and a focus on upcoming titles from Sony Classical and RCA Red Seal.
- An Intimate Tour Through The Music Of Yo-Yo Ma, a series focused on the legendary cellist, as he takes us through his career, collaborators and The Silk Road Project.
Some Personal History:
- I was born and raised in NYC, went to PS 11 for elementary school, Manhattan East for junior high, and a combination of Bronx Science and Urban Academy for high school.
- Both my parents (Laura and Charles) are fantastic artists. Check out their sites.
- Iâ€™m currently a resident of Atlanta, where I live with my super-amazing girlfriend KateÂ in a little cottage in Grant Park.
- My Resume is available online. Â I also have a LinkedIn, if you’re into that sort of thing.